After putting together this week’s photography roundup, I am definitely feeling inspired to take a trip to Tokyo. What an interesting and magnificent city! Did you know that:
- There are 5 enormous cylindrical shafts underneath of Tokyo, Japan which fill with water in case of a flood so it does not to destroy the city.
- The 2020 Olympics will take place in Tokyo, as predicted in the manga Akira in 1982.
- The tallest free-standing tower in the world, the Tokyo Sky Tree, had its final height chosen solely because of wordplay; several numbers were considered because of their alternate meanings, they ended up choosing 634m for “Musashi”.
- Japan has nearly twice as many 7-Elevens as the United States, with 2,079 stores in Tokyo alone.
- There’s a hamburger joint in Tokyo called Whoopi Goldburger.
- There’s a skyscraper in Tokyo which tells you, using colored lights, whether you should bring an umbrella when you go outside.
- 45 of the 51 busiest train stations in the world are in Japan. The busiest, Tokyo’s Shinjuku Station, serves roughly 1.2 billion passengers each year.
Fascinating! If that doesn’t make you want to visit, I hope that these 24 terrific Tokyo photos will! Enjoy!
Credit to respective artists.