In honor of the movie release of Logan, based on one of the most popular comics of all time, I’ve decided to put together a collection of comic based graphic design projects. But before we get into that, here’s 10 quick and interesting facts about comics!
- The font Comic Sans is based on Dave Gibbons’ lettering in the Watchmen comic books. (He calls the font “dreadful.”)
- The world’s largest comic book collection belongs to the Library of Congress. They currently hold over 100,000 individual issues.
- Comic book letterers avoid words like “Clint” and “flick” because during printing the letters can run together, making the words look like profanity.
- When the comics code was created, it prohibited judges and law enforcement agents from being depicted negatively.
- Our universe actually exists in the Marvel multiverse. Our Earth is Earth-1218.
- Michael Jackson wanted to play Spider-Man in a movie, so he tried to buy Marvel comics in the ’90s.
- Marvel got around a law that increases taxes on toys that resemble humans by claiming that X-Men figures were mutants, not humans.
- Wayne Enterprises, which is controlled by Batman’s alter ego, Bruce Wayne, owns The Daily Planet, the newspaper that Superman’s alter ego, Clark Kent, works for.
- Spider-man has a hyphen in it so that people don’t confuse him with Superman.
- Spock from Star Trek has taken on Wolverine in a battle. Spock won.
Let’s get into it! Enjoy!
Credit respective artists.