The Vikings were both fascinating and terrifying. The modern knowledge of these people is based mostly on stereotype, so let’s clear the air.
- Viking never actually wore horned helmets like todays costumes depict
- Vikings had excellent hygiene, using tweezers, razors, combs and ear cleaners made from animal bones and antlers.
- Vikings might of been decent skiers.
- Vikings weren’t actually a people group. Denmark, Norway and Sweden were home to groups of chief-led tribes that weren’t connected in anyway other than to fight each other.
- Viking means a pirate raid in the Old Norse language.
- Vikings discovered North America before Columbus, landing in Canada around 1000 AD.
- The Vikings were actually quite civilized, despite being painted as complete barbarians. They had organized forms of government and gave their women some basic rights (unlike other cultures of that time.)
The Vikings eventually stopped raiding and gradually settled into the rest of civilization, becoming Norwegians, Swedes, and Danes.
Anyways, that was a quick history lesson, but here are some modern logos that have been inspired by the Vikings (or their stereotypes.) Enjoy!
Credit to respective artists.
I hope that you enjoyed this weeks logo roundup! With halloween around the corner, I’m sure you’ll be encountering some Vikings in the streets. Just remember that they’re all posers and the real Vikings were actually quite dignified and respectable people, who used barbaric tactics to raid.