If you’re like me, you probably don’t know much about the form of energy that powers our everyday life. For that reason, here are 10 quick facts about electricity to get you up to speed:
Courtesy of kickassfacts.com
- A platypus hunts via electricity and has 80 different kinds of venomous toxins.
- The annual electricity cost of running the Large Hadron Collider is about $23.5 million.
- A typical microwave oven consumes more electricity powering its digital clock than it does heating food.
- The word “electrocute” is a combination of the words electro and execute, meaning you were killed by electricity. So if you don’t die, you were not electrocuted, you were shocked.
- Ore trains in Sweden traveling down to the coast generate five times the amount of electricity they use, powering nearby towns and the return trip for other trains.
- The amount of energy consumed by U.S. homes for air conditioning has doubled in the past 12 years and now accounts for nearly 20 percent of our electricity use.
- So many British people make tea after the TV show “Eastenders” finishes, that backup power stations go on standby to cope with the massive surge in electricity usage.
- In 1999, 40 million people simultaneously lost electricity in the Philippines, including the presidential palace, sparking fears of a possible coup, only to find out that the power grid was compromised by the cooling pipes of one power plant which sucked 50 dump trucks’ worth of jellyfish.
- Daylight Savings doesn’t actually save electricity. It still exists because it helps the economy.
- In 2005, an Australian man wearing a nylon jacket and wool shirt built up 40,000 volts of static electricity, resulting in burned carpets, melted plastic, and a massive evacuation.
Cool right? So cool in fact that I decided to put together a collection of electricity related logos for your inspiration. Enjoy!
Credit to respective artists.
I would love to know your thoughts and opinions on this roundup so feel free to make use of the comment section below!
I hope you enjoyed this week’s logo design roundup! Thanks for stopping by!